Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Friday, December 15, 2006

My triathlon dream

Since I have nothing interesting to post about training, apart from the fact that I actually managed to run 10 km on the treadmill today (I'm very allergic to treadmills and normally avoid them at all costs), I thought a non-training but very triathlon-related post was in order. Now I've had several triathlon dreams in the past, but last night's was so weird that I just have to share it. Enjoy!

I was doing a very strange triathlon and for some reason, although it was a triathlon, I was only doing the run. I have no idea how I knew when to start running, but I did. As I was running, I realized that I was running with Nina Peckerman, who is the best female triathlete in Israel. I was actually running right alongside her and she was complaining about how hard it was. Oh, and we were running in a shopping mall. As she complained to me about how hard the race was for her, I looked down and saw that she was running with swim fins. Strange as that sounds, it didn't seem at all odd to me until I told my husband about the dream. When I told him that part, it suddenly hit me that that was really weird. Anyway, since Nina and I were running together, I asked her to please have her picture taken with me, because this would be the only time I ever ran next to her in a race. So when we got to the turn-around point and saw a photographer, I think we held hands or something or just ran close together and smiled for the camera.

This is about when things started to go wrong for me. I actually passed Nina and I was leading the race. I finished the first out and back despite the fact that the course through the shopping mall was completely unmarked and there were no officials directing the runners. On the second out and back, I got completely lost. I couldn't remember where I'd run before. I kept running past stores and people sitting at tables and all kinds of places I was pretty sure I hadn't seen the first time. Nobody had any idea where the race was, so I was on my own. Then, other people started to catch up with me and we were all lost together. In the meantime, Nina finished the race. Someone told me this, but since she was lost along with me, I have no idea how she knew. She also told me that Nina had said that she hadn't had a problem remembering the correct route. I never did finish the race because I woke up. But I learned two things from my dream:

1) Running in swim fins is probably not a very good idea, or at least it didn't work well for Nina if I managed to pass her.

2) When doing a race in a shopping mall, always take along some money or a credit card so that if you get lost, at least you can go shopping.

4 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

LOL, very funny dream! I love the way our mind twists things around in our dreams. I had several really funny dreams leading up to IMFL this year, including dreaming that I had to swim in a pink wetsuit with ruffled sleeves. My friend dreamed that the water all drained out and everyone had to walk across the bottom while pretending to swim with their arms, because they wouldn't cancel the swim portion just because there was no water.

15/12/06 23:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Great blog and good work on the training. Just to let you know. Nina is not the best female triathlete in Israel. There is another girl that made aliyah recently that is ranked higher than Nina internationally and although is now an israeli citizen hasn't been racing in Israel so that she can instead qualify for the olympics. Nina is now number three ranked behind her and another israeli girl.

17/12/06 10:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Triathlons are incredibly hard and take a lot of training. It takes an dedicated athlete to compete in triathlons.

Thanks,
Scott Hughes
Triathlon Forums

20/12/06 13:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

would you have any recommendations about finding a rental bike/wetsuit in Israel. I want to race the May 5 07 Big Box race at Emek Hajorden, but I won't be able to bring any of my kit to Israel. Thanks, I'll check back.
Y in Can

18/3/07 21:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory