Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Monday, July 09, 2012

Chlorine allergy?

Among the many things that have kept me from training regularly, I seem to have developed an allergy to the pool.  I feel fine while I'm swimming, but the following day, I wake up with itchy, red, watery eyes and often with a stuffed up nose.  It took me some time to make the connection, but now I'm absolutely positive that the pool is the culprit.  I have other allergies as well that make my nose and throat itch, so I take allergy medication on a regular basis, but it doesn't seem to do much for my pool allergy.  I also have anti-allergy eye drops that do help some, but the only thing that really makes me feel better is staying out of the pool, which clearly is not an option -- it's not like I have a lot of opportunities to do open-water swimming here in the desert!

So I was searching online today and I came across an article from a few years ago that convinced me that I am in good company.  If Ian Thorpe could overcome his chlorine allergy to become one of the best swimmers in history, I think I can deal with mine.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory