Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Sunday, May 22, 2005

The day after

Isn't everything supposed to hurt the day after a race? Well, nothing hurts here. In fact, the only reason I'm even a little bit tired is because I stayed up very late (past 1 a.m.) to see the results of the Eurovision Song Contest (Israel came in 4th!).

I went to my swim workout tonight and the guys were all complaining of aches and pains. And those were just the guys who showed up at all -- there were only four of us there! My coach says that I'm racing the "smart way" -- not pushing too hard, pacing myself and gaining experience. He says I shouldn't start racing to win yet. But I still feel like if it's a race, I should be racing, not treating it like a workout. At the very least, shouldn't I be sore the next day?!

Well, I guess the positive side to this is that I managed to do even better than the time goal I'd set for myself and still feel good the next day, so when I'm "ready" to race to win, maybe I'll find out that I'm actually fast!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yasher Koach!

re soreness day after. not necessarily. We're not male (whipee!) so racing affects us differently. I find if I hurt a lot the day after a hard race something is terribly wrong.

I agree 100% with your coach. Race smart. Gain experience. Learn how to "tell time" (i.e. you can feel negative splits, can feel each quarter mile whether or not it's marked, etc). Your mind is a very interesting friend/foe while racing. For now treat it like a work out. Just trust me and your coach on this one. I know it's hard. My best races end up the ones I treated as a work out.. But that also shows the friend/foe that my mind is.

My comments can only be taken from my experience of running. I assume cycling and swimming racing is similar but I can't say as I don't know..

26/5/05 21:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory