Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Flying

No, I haven't learned to fly, or not yet. But we've been swimming an awful lot of fly lately. You may ask why a triathlete needs to swim the butterfly. Coach Yigal doesn't believe in "triathletes" -- I believe if I ever spoke to him in English, he'd probably refer to us as "multi-sport athletes", meaning that we're swimmers, cyclists and runners. Swimmers, of course, need to know how to swim the butterfly (and do flip turns!). Lucky us.

A few months ago, I couldn't make it across the 25-meter pool swimming butterfly. That's no longer a problem, though I do normally feel the need to stop before trying to swim back in the other direction. And basically, I feel... well... silly. Yigal says I'm doing it right, more or less. He says my hands are a bit too close together on entry and that my head stays out of the water a little bit too long, but both mistakes are easily correctable (and I think I've already corrected them). Apart from that, he insists that everything is fine and that I don't look silly. I don't believe him. Of course, if I do look silly, I'm not alone -- the rest of the team looks even sillier, I think. And at least I leave some water in the pool when I'm finished swimming a length of butterfly. I've got a few teammates who think that creating a megawave in front of them and clearing half the water out of the pool are part of the workout. Passing them in the opposite direction when they're swimming fly is not recommended, by the way, unless you like the taste of chlorine.

Yigal has added morning workouts, too, mainly for the varsity team, but he informed us last night that we should feel free to do them. I was thinking about doing the morning workout on Wednesday because we won't be working out Wednesday evening -- it's the Passover seder. Then I saw the plan -- the workout starts with... 200 meters butterfly. I think I need to cook on Wednesday morning...

Just for the record, is there anyone out there in blog-land actually reading this or am I just talking to myself??

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read it :-)

And I used to work with a similar swim coach, although he was a triathlete! He felt though that each stroke adds to comfort in the water, understanding of how you move forward in the water, and improves your freestyle, and thus is important to understand as a triathlete.

10/4/06 20:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory