Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

What I hate about daylight savings time

We went on daylight savings time between Thursday and Friday. I know that sounds strange, but Sunday is a work day in Israel, so we can't change our clocks between Saturday and Sunday like Americans do (who wants to go to work on one less hour of sleep?) and religious Jews are not permitted to change their clocks or do anything else that involves electricity, electronics, etc. from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday, so doing it between Friday and Saturday is out of the question, as well. That leaves the night between Thursday and Friday. Friday is a half work day for some and a day off for most. Schools are open on Friday (we have a six-day school week), but school lets out earlier than other days. Unfortunately, it doesn't start later, so although I don't teach on Fridays (it's my day off), I still had to get up early enough to get my kids off to school and I had to do it on one less hour of sleep. But that's not my problem with daylight savings time.

My problem is possibly best illustrated by the following picture of me (in the front) with my teammates Jean Marc (on the left) and Ela (next to me):


It's 7 a.m. (formerly 6 a.m.) on Saturday morning. Jean Marc looks like he's dressed for the middle of winter. Ela and I just look like we're about to freeze to death (no, I don't normally stand like that with my shoulders hunched and my body stiff -- I actually had my arms wrapped around me until I was told to smile for the camera). And although we did see the sun somewhere down near the horizon, at this time of the morning, it provided no warmth whatsoever.


Now this wouldn't bother me so much in the winter. I'd just dress warmly and stay that way for the whole ride. But by the time we'd ridden 9 km to the gas station that was the starting point of our time trial, it had already started to warm up. That's when I had to prove my acrobatic abilities -- in front of the whole team, while listening to the "briefing", I managed to get that black shirt off and out from under my jersey. Ok, so maybe I should invest in some arm warmers, but those wouldn't have kept my body warm, meaning I would have needed an undershirt under my jersey, which would have made me very warm during the workout. I was more than comfortable in my short sleeve jersey once the sun truly came up.

And I won't even get into how hard it was to get up in the dark. Really -- who needs daylight savings time?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory