Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Monday, October 01, 2007

Triathlon pet peeves

I like to race. In fact, most of the time, I really like to race.
I'm never going to make it to the Olympics or be a pro triathlete or
be famous, so if I didn't like racing, I wouldn't do it. However,
there are a few things that bother me at races. I don't mean for this
to be a negative post, so I'm only going to write about one of them
here: blocking.

When I get out on the bike course, there are always people in front of
me who are slower than I am. There are two reasons for this:

1) Relative to other triathletes, I'm usually slightly faster on the
bike than I am in the swim, so there are fast swimmers but slow
cyclists ahead of me.

2) There is almost always at least one wave ahead of mine that has
both fast and slow triathletes. Usually it's the sprint up to 39
wave, which normally starts five or ten minutes before the sprint 40+
wave. That means that everyone in that wave has a five to ten minute
lead on me and I'm faster than probably about a quarter to a third of
them and significantly faster than a few (I even pass some of them in
the water). I catch up to most of the slower up-to-39 athletes on the
bike.

I don't mind having people in front of me on the bike course. In
fact, I really enjoy passing people and it motivates me to go faster.
I particularly like picking out someone some distance ahead and "going
after him" until I pick him off. I think we all like this. I can
rarely do it on the run, but I can almost always do it on the bike.
What I dislike is slow cyclists riding in the middle of the road or on
the center line. I am constantly asking people to move right, which
they normally do, but it would be a lot more considerate (not to
mention in accordance with the rules) if they were already riding on
the right.

What I dislike even more than slow cyclists not on the right-hand side
of the road is groups of slow cyclists riding abreast of one another.
It doesn't even have to be a group, actually -- a pair is enough to
really tick me off. These people are normally breaking two rules --
blocking and drafting. It's a lot harder to get past them than it is
to get past a single cyclist, as if the road isn't all that wide, one
of them has to first pull ahead of the other before it's possible to
pass them.

Some of these people are warned or even disqualified from the race by
passing race officials, but no matter how good the officials are (and
I have some very good friends who are race officials, so you won't
normally hear me complaining about how they do their job), they can't
be everywhere on the course. It really puts a damper on my race when
I have to slow down simply because I'm stuck behind someone who isn't
moving out of the way fast enough (and never should have been there to
begin with).

So that's my triathlon pet peeve, or at least my biggest one. Anyone
else want to post theirs?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I find the exact the same problem exists here downunder in the sprint and short course races. I have spoken to many guilty people and I think a lot of them don't understand the rules and believe they really are breaking them. The other attitude I have encountered is that since they are going to win, then it shouldn't matter. Some just don't care.

Unfortunately it affects a lot of other people racing. Such as those trying to pass. In pre-race briefings they are now finally talking about blocking, but out on the course they only give penalties for drafting. I'm of the impression my triathlon organisation is worried about scaring off "slow" people (who make up the majority of the field) if they disqualify them from races.

I am completely with you on this pet peeve. The rules are there for a fair and enjoyable competition for everyone.

I don't know what the answer is after campaigning my state association and technical officials to not much avail.

2/10/07 00:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory