Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Friday, May 27, 2005

Training alone

I don't know how you folks who train alone do it. Last night I showed up for my swim workout and there was no one there -- not even the coach. It's sort of a holiday (Lag B'Omer, a holiday that I don't particularly like and tend to ignore and which, unlike most other Jewish holidays, doesn't have any restrictions regarding work and other daily activities), so I guess maybe my coach canceled the workout and forgot to tell me. It's the first time he's ever not shown up for a workout, so I'm sure there was a reason.

Anyway, since I was already dressed (actually, I was in the pool -- I often warm up before the coach gets there), I proceeded to work out on my own. It was kind of a wimpy workout. I think I've got tendonitis or something in my lower leg, so I skipped the fins. After a 300 meter warmup, I did 400 meters with paddles and a pull buoy and then I did two times 100 breaststroke, 100 backstroke and 100 freestyle and then another 300 meters of freestyle for a total of 1600 meters. Not very challenging and a lot easier than my normal swim workouts. I was pretty much alone in the pool and lacking in motivation, so rather than really "working out", I was looking for a way to fill my time and I guess I found one. I did try to concentrate on my form, but for some reason, I was feeling rather sloppy.

Before joining the team, I spent a long time working out on my own, but I wasn't actually training for anything, because apart from one 5k back in 2002, I wasn't racing. Since joining the team and working out with a coach and other people, both my swimming and running have gotten much faster (I wasn't riding a bike before I joined the team). In fact, even after swimming 750 meters and cycling 20 km, I can still run faster than my pre-triathlon team PR, which I set in October 2003 and was never able to get close to again until recently. I never skip workouts because I know other people are expecting me to be there (I do occasionally skip the ones I have planned to do on my own) and my coach and teammates motivate me to go faster and faster.

I admire those of you who are able to do it on your own -- I'm not sure I could. My coach is leaving us in August and I have no idea if he'll be replaced, but I'm comforting myself with the fact that my teammates are not leaving, so I won't be working out alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory