Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

To ride or not to ride???

No, I haven't disappeared off the face of the earth. I've just been buried in piles of matriculation exams. They finally dug me out on Sunday :-)

My workouts have become somewhat sporadic in the last three weeks (or at least what I'd call sporadic, which is anything less than five to six days a week). I've been sufferng from knee pain which finally seems to be going away. I have no idea what caused it, as it started after two days of rest, but it's been rather painful at times and riding my bike seems to make it worse.

Which leads me to the question of the week -- to ride or not to ride? At tonight's swim workout I was informed that on Saturday, we're riding 110 km. I have never ridden more than 60 km, so that's a very long distance for me. There is an option to cut it short to 85 km, which seems more reasonable and probably doable. However, one knee is still bothering me a little bit. I suspect it will be fine by Saturday, as it's getting better and better every day, but I still don't know what caused the pain to begin with, so I'm not sure it's a great idea to do such a long ride. On the other hand, I really want to do the ride. I did 55 km when both knees were hurting and it didn't make them any worse. A week later I did the Tel Aviv Triathlon and survived it without any lasting damage. And last week I rode 23 km and ran about 4 (we were working on transitions) and although my knees bothered me right after the workout, by a day or two afterwards, they were fine (as in back to the same point they'd been before that workout and maybe even a little bit better).

Today is only Tuesday, so I still have three days to think about this. Yes, I can count -- Saturday is four days away, but since we're riding at 6 a.m., I think that deciding by Friday would be the smart thing to do. I think that if my knees are back to normal by Friday that I probably will ride. I hope I won't regret it, but I will still have a couple of weeks to recuperate before my next race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory