Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Junk meters???

I think tonight's workout qualified as basically a meaningless waste of time. I've now gone 9 days without a rest day, including a race and a couple of hard workouts. Every time I do this, I curse myself afterwards. My body needs rest. I do have at least one rest day planned for this week, but I've got a few days to go before I get there.

So I went to swim practice exhausted. It was actually an easy workout -- only form drills, no speed work. But I didn't even feel like doing the form drills. I more or less kept up until we had to swim butterfly. This is where I said no. I just hung around at the end of the pool waiting for that drill to end. I was not swimming butterfly today (and I got absolutely no argument from my coach). Then I swam 200 meters on my back with fins and my leg started to feel stiff -- this leg has been giving me trouble for a couple of weeks. So I took off the fins and skipped the next drill (I think -- at this point, I was losing track of what we were doing). In the 50 or so minutes that I was actually in the pool, I swam 1100 meters. In addition, I spent a lot of time having a nice conversation with my teammate who was also skipping half the workout (he has a much better excuse for being tired than I do, though, plus, swimming is his weakest sport, not his strongest).

We've all heard of junk miles. Well, these were junk meters, I think. I can add 1100 meters to my weekly and monthly totals, but they were mainly a waste of time, as I didn't even put a lot of effort into concentrating on my form and that's what we were working on. Maybe there is something to be gained from swimming aimlessly back and forth and I guess it felt good to be in the water, but it's kind of hard for me to even call what I did a "workout".

2 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

Please rest. I did the most damage to myself by not resting.

31/5/05 15:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I guess it felt good to be in the water"

I know as a mom and someone who leads a busy life that I always need to feel like I'm accomplishing something. Sometimes it is good to relax and enjoy just BEing, whether it's in the water or in the garden, without it having to be efficient.

Just because it wasn't a "workout" doesn't make it "junk". It was pleasant - savour that!

2/6/05 06:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory