Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Race reports: Omer 10k and Ein Gedi 10k

This is going to be the very short version.

The Omer 10k was on February 11th. Omer is a town very near to where I live. Most of the team went there by bike, but because I hadn't been feeling well, I drove. I really wasn't sure if I wanted to run or not, but I decided to use the race as a training race for the 10k the following week.

The race was a bit screwy, to put it mildly. The km markers were completely off, so I really had no idea how far I'd gone (and I didn't even realize they were off till near the end of the race). For this reason, I couldn't properly pace myself. My goal was to finish 10k in under an hour. As I approached the finish line, I saw that I was going to achieve my goal of under 1:00 -- I finished in 59:54. Unfortunately, the course was off and was about 300 meters short, so this translated to about 1:01:30 or so. Ugh. Still, last year I did 1:03:19, so this was an improvement in any case.

The following week was the Ein Gedi 10k. I was feeling a bit better, but I'd taken the whole
week off from training. It was a windy day and there was a bad head wind on the second half of the out and back course. I finished the first 5 km in 30:01, but when I felt the wind, I knew my dream of going under an hour was shot. However, the entire way back I passed people, including my coach (who was accompanying his wife). In fact, I ran so well on the way back that my coach later commented that I hadn't gone out fast enough.

At 9 km, I looked at my watch. It read 55:45. I wanted to finish in 1:01:30 (my "converted"
10k time from the previous week, as this course really was 10k), so I picked up the pace a bit. Well, I picked up the pace a bit more than a bit! When I crossed the finish line and looked at my watch, I saw that I'd run the last km in just over 5 minutes! I finished in 1:00:48 (as you can see on the clock in the picture! Thanks to www.4sport.co.il for the picture, by the way).

So Ein Gedi ended up being a pretty good race for me. I took over five minutes off of last year's time (1:06), which made me really happy, even if I didn't break an hour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory