Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Maybe things are coming together

On Sunday night, swim practice wasn't so bad. It wasn't fantastic, but it was ok. I actually did one of the fastest timed 400 meters that I've ever done and I wasn't swimming "all out". My swimming still wasn't quite "there" and my coach even told me that he expects better times from me (that wasn't criticism, but rather a statement of the potential that he feels I have. This is the same coach who, just a few weeks ago, gave me the outstanding athlete award for "seriousness and perseverance", so I know he appreciates how hard I normally work), but it's starting to feel better.

And last night I ran 10 km and it was easy. I didn't run fast, but I ran at a decent pace and I actually had a hard time getting my heart rate up (I've always had a hard time keeping my heart rate down while running, so this is an interesting change). I wasn't even planning on doing the entire 10 km workout -- I thought I'd do 8 km. I was glad that I changed my mind. I ran 10 km last night -- 5 on Saturday should be a piece of cake.

Today I did the swim workout alone (sort of -- there were other team members at the pool, but we all got there at different times). Something felt "different" in my swimming. I don't know if I was actually moving faster because I didn't time myself, but I felt like I was moving through the water more easily and that my strokes were longer. When the cold water knocks the breath out of me on Saturday morning, I hope I can recreate that "gliding through the water" feeling (and that it will replace the panic!).

I like doing workouts that feel "right". The season is starting and I really think I'm in a good place. Of course, from where I ended last season (on my butt in the middle of the road, my wrecked bike next to me), there was only one way to go -- up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory