Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Run, baby, run!

As the first third of April comes to an end, I am only two km short of my running total for all of March. 32 km in 10 days. Ok, so some people do more than that in one day, but it's a pretty decent total for me!

Last night's run (a total of 8.5 km) felt good. One thing I dislike about running is that it takes me so long to start feeling good that I tend to stop before I ever get there. I had run at least four or five km yesterday, I think, before I really got into a rhythm and stopped feeling like I was struggling. The other thing I dislike is that I look so silly running. No, not silly like swimming the fly -- I just feel silly doing that. My running form is so bad that people constantly comment on it: "Pick up your feet!" or "You look like you're running while sitting down" or my all-time favorite, "I saw you out walking last night." Uh, no, that was running.

There are positive comments, too, though. My coach is always telling me that I save a lot of energy while running, definitely a good thing on the days he tells us to go out and run 12 or 15 km (a long run for me). But my truly favorite comment (no sarcasm this time) is this one: "Wow, it didn't look like you were running very fast, but I couldn't catch up with you!" On more than one occasion, I have surprised people with my ability to move a lot faster than I look like I'm moving. That might actually come in handy in races when people think they'll have no trouble catching me and then never manage to do so. Maybe untraditional running form isn't so bad afterall!

Oh, and I am happy to report that there is at least one person out there in blog-land. Thanks, Kylie for letting me know you're reading. And by the way, my coach is also a triathlete (or a multisport athlete!), but he's both a triathlon coach and a swim coach, I believe, and his swimming philosophy apparently comes from his swim coach training. I wonder how much fly is in store for us tonight...

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Hmm, 34 km total last month running, and 32 km in 10 days this month already? This sounds like a pretty darned fast ramp-up and perhaps a recipe for injury! Be careful out there!

12/4/06 04:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory