Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The stupid things we do

Let me start off by saying that I did my longest run ever today -- 20 km. This is especially amazing considering the horrible week I had last week -- I could barely at all. I've been running on the treadmill a lot and suddenly I was unable to run outside -- it just hurt. Well, today, it didn't hurt (or at least not where it hurt last week). It was a great run.

Now for the stupid stuff... I've been suffering from blisters on my toes, so I've taken to wearing my socks inside out so that the seam won't rub me. Good idea for most socks, but before you wear your socks inside out, it's also a good idea to check the outside and make sure there's nothing there that might rub your feet.

I'm not sure when I started to feel something rubbing the bottom of my feet, but it wasn't too far into my run. I ignored it. By the time I finished 20 km, the soles of my feet were really sore. When I took off my socks, this is what I saw:


This blister is at least an inch across and it hurts. I have a smaller one (but more painful for some reason) on my other foot. I'd never worn these particular socks inside out before and I never will again -- it turns out that they have these textured waves on the outside, right where that nice blister is. Oops. And ouch.

Lesson learned.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

oooh, ouch! That definitely looks painful! I discovered WrightSocks just before IMFL and haven't had a blister since (not to sound like a walking advertisement or anything). I hope you are back on your feet soon.

16/1/07 10:00  
Blogger Vickie said...

I think they have something like liquid bandage or second skin or nuskin, any of which should work. If you can't find that, some diaper rash ointment, like Desitin, works too. I have that beat, since once I had a blister the length of my hand on my arch and it bled through my shoe before I noticed. I used the Desitin and after just a couple of days it was drying out and cleared up without any more problems.

16/1/07 16:33  
Blogger Mal James said...

Great blog
Also a tri'er training in the Holyland , take a look at my blog if you get a chance , train hard wishing you the best
Cheers
Mal
http://point1of1percent.blogspot.com/

19/1/07 20:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory