Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Bad day, good day

It's a good thing that a bad workout is often followed by a good one.

Sunday's swim was awful. It started with me not really wanting to get in the pool. Everyone was halfway finished with the warm up before I even started. I never did finish the warm up (I did 550 meters out of 1000) because we had to start the main set. I didn't finish that, either.

The main set was 10 time 50 meters with 30 seconds rest in between. We were supposed to swim at 90% effort. I did the first two at closer to "all out" effort than 90%. My times were awful. I was tired. I stopped. I swam 150 meters slowly and did the last two 50s. On the second to last, my time was a lot better. On the last one, I started having trouble pulling with my right arm. I couldn't seem to complete the pull -- it was my shoulder acting up again. Great. Just what I need.

I got out of the pool feeling frustrated and depressed. I used to like swim workouts. This one had made me miserable.

I wasn't all that excited to go to my Monday run, either. Running is hard and it's my weakest sport. But went. We started with a 3 km warm up. I did it with three teammates. Only one of them is actually a faster runner than I am, but I didn't like their warm up pace -- it was too fast for me. Warm ups are supposed to be slow. So I held back a bit and did it at a pace that felt more comfortable to me.

The main set was 1 km fast, 1 km slow, 1 km fast, 1 km slow. I wasn't sure how I would fare because the warm up had been too fast for me. Well, I must have been right to slow down the warm up because the main set was great. I expected to do between 5:30 and 5:40 on the fast kms. I did the first one in 4:54. The slow km was very slow -- 6:45. The second fast one was 5:02 and the second slow one was 6:35. I was able to do this without a break and I could have gone faster (coach said to run at 90% effort). I finished feeling strong and really good about the run.

Just a note on those "slow" kilometers. When I first started running, my training pace was around 7:30 per km and I never felt like I was running slowly. I finished my very first 5k in 2002 in 35:19 -- 7:04 per km. And this was a race. Last night's slow kilometers really were slow. I was able to lower my heart rate and I felt like I was doing a very slow jog at almost no effort. "Slow" for me now is faster than "fast" was less than four years ago. Maybe there's hope for my running afterall!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you consider a slow pace is, like, rocket pace for me. Your warm-up is my all time fastest run where I die at the end from exhaustion! :) You should be proud.

31/5/06 08:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory