Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Monday, July 23, 2007

To run or not to run?

That really is the question.

I've been suffering from shin splints for about a month now.  I've drastically cut back on my running (not that I was running all that much before) and I think I've managed to get rid of the problem in one leg, but the other still bothers me after every run.  The last time I ran was a week ago.  I did 6 km and had pain in my shins for a couple of days afterwards.  Now it doesn't hurt.  Do I try again tonight?

Between my shins and my back, I think it may be time to have this old body serviced.  Anyone know where the nearest human body garage is?

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Ugh. Sorry to hear about your injuries. When you find the garage, please let me know, because I need to pay a visit as well. I've been plagued by injury all season right along with you!

Unfortunately, a break is probably what you'll need. Thankfully you're a triathlete and swimming and biking are still there for you :) (Easier said than done!)

23/7/07 21:04  
Blogger bari said...

Yeah, I decided not to run. I don't know if it was out of laziness or concern for my leg, but I think a few extra rest days will only do me good.

23/7/07 21:38  
Blogger Rachel said...

If you've taken a few rest days, I would go ahead and try a short run. If it's shin splints, your body is telling you you're doing too much too soon. I would recommend doing shorter runs at lower intensities. Usually running every other day or every 2 days is okay for "pre" injuries. You can maintain you're running fitness with only 2 runs per week for quite some time. Make sure your running shoes fit you correctly and aren't worn out. Also, try running on softer surfaces--treadmills are great for this. I would halve your distance for now--don't go over 5K until your legs feel good. Hope this helps!

24/7/07 01:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory