Tri-ing in the Holy Land

The ramblings of a struggling triathlete in Israel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Israel

I'm the mother of 3, a teacher and a couch potato turned triathlete.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

What is it about the gym?

I need to get to the gym.  In fact, I've needed to get to the gym for well over a year.  I go there once in a while when the weather is bad to use a treadmill or a stationary bike, but I need to start using the weight machines.  So what's keeping me from going?  I don't have a clue. 
 
Maybe the gym is too far away?  Uh...  No...  It's exactly a 1 km drive or about a 600 meter walk.  I think I can handle that.  I manage to get to the pool several times a week without a problem and it's in the same place.
 
Maybe I don't have time?  Well, this would be a good excuse at certain times of the year, but right now I'm not doing much of anything, at least not for the next week, and it's been like this for three weeks.  I think I can find an hour in my not-very-busy day.
 
Maybe I don't know what to do there?  This is partially correct, but not a good excuse.  I used to work out at the gym regularly, so I'm not completely clueless and, of course, we have trainers at the gym who are there to teach me what to do.  I know all of them personally, so I'm not embarrassed to ask.
 
Maybe I can't stand the smell?  Well, I can't, but I manage to deal with that when I'm running on the treadmill.  I've even managed to breathe those nasty sweat vapors for 15 km on the treadmill -- I think I can handle them for an hour or so.
 
Maybe I'm just being lazy and looking for ways to avoid doing what I need to do so that I'll have excuses for not being stronger/faster/whatever?  Yeah, maybe.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mal James said...

I belonged to a gym for a year and have only just let my membership drop , do not miss it that much.
Then again "MAY'BE"
Tri again LOL
Mal

19/7/07 18:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think most gyms turn a profit from the fact that people sign up and never go! Just get up and force yourself one day and it will be easy after that!

23/7/07 05:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Triathlon Blog Directory